I LOVE pastries and treats. I've tried to eat them in moderation while being pregnant, and I usually do ok with that. I do have a few sweet temptations- rice crispie treats and ANYTHING from Mrs. Backers. My Doctors office is right across the street from the best pastry shop in Salt Lake, Mrs. Backers. DANGEROUS! I spent a year or two working there and I can safely say, I have sampled EVERYTHING and it tastes better than it looks! I actually try to schedule my appointments on a Monday, when they are closed, so I can avoid any temptation.
I had my glucose test a few weeks ago. This is where you drink a sugary solution and they test your blood to see how well your body processes the glucose.
I followed the instructions to the tee...
- eat an egg for breakfast
- eat protein ( meat) for lunch
- stop eating food 3 hours before test
- drink glucola 1 hour before appointment time
- arrive 15 minutes before scheduled appointment
When the nurse brought in the results, she said I failed. I kinda laughed. I thought she was joking. She laughed a bit, too. She wasn't kidding though. I failed. I was 6 points above the limit. Eeeks!
They said I would need to come back for the 3 hour test. I was so annoyed. How could I fail the test???? Oh, wait.... I love treats. Luckily, the Doctor said that wasn't the reason for failing.
A week later, I went back in...
Once again, I followed the instructions to a tee... but, these were slightly different.
- eat 1 regular sized candy bar for 3 days prior to the test (Snickers bars don't taste as good when you know you HAVE to eat them. )
- do not eat or drink anything except for water after midnight before the test- arrive fasting
- be to the office by 8:45 AM to have blood drawn
- drink a very concentrated bottle of glucola in 5 minutes and 'keep it down.'
- remain at the Dr.'s office for another 3 hours. Blood is drawn every hour for 3 hours
- bring things to keep you occupied while you are there.
I won't bore you with unnecessary details... this is all you need to know:
- the super sugary drink really does make you a little queasy. I decided it was best NOT to move for a while and luckily the chairs were comfortable.
- I have never had so much blood drawn in 4 hours.
- you really get to know the phlebotomist well
- you are super hungry at the end, but can't eat very much
- I PASSED! My numbers were excellent. It was just a freak day when I failed. Yahoo!!!! I still think I will limit my temptations... That way, those little temptations will taste all the better when I do eat them :)


Congrats on passing the 3-hour test! Woo hoo! :)
ReplyDeleteYay!! So glad you passed!!
ReplyDelete