Wednesday, June 6, 2012

I want to be French!

A few months ago, Rebecca told me about a book I needed to look into, Bringing Up Bebe. I finally have the book and I confess, I am slightly addicted. I really like the premise: An American woman discovers the wisdom of French parenting. This is what the author notices when she takes a closer look at the way the French raise their children:
  • The French children sleep through the night at two or three months old while those of her American friends take a year or more.
  • French kids eat well-rounded meals that are more likely to include braised leeks than chicken nuggets. 
  • While most parents spend their visits resolving spats between their kids, her French friends sip coffee while the kids play.
  • French mothers assume that even good parents aren't at the constant service of their children and that there's no need to feel guilty about this. They have an easy, calm authority with their kids.
  • French kids are just as boisterous, curious, and creative as Americans. They're just far better behaved and more in command of themselves. 
  • While some American toddlers are getting Mandarin tutors and preliteracy training, French kids are- by design-toddling around and discovering the world at their own pace.
 So, if you know me, you can see why this book would peak my curiosity. A few years ago, when we went to visit Patrick and Benjamin in the French Riviera, we came home thinking it would be great to continue learning French so we could one day teach our child French. Well, we didn't really keep up our practice. But as I think back, I don't recall seeing any children throwing tantrums in the markets or screaming at the restaurants. The children seemed well behaved..... I like what I saw.


I'm only 23 pages into the book and I like what I am reading. Allison, one of our sister-in-laws has been reading the book as well. I can't wait to talk with her more about this book.  

1 comment:

  1. Sounds interesting. You will have to share any useful tips you learn from the book...i like the idea of no tantrums! :)

    ReplyDelete