Sunday, February 26, 2012

Here's the story....

Our little baby is already 14 weeks old and his expected arrival date is August 23, 2012. Hooray for a summer baby!

There is a little story behind this pregnancy... we decided we really liked the' taking it slow' plan. Get married and figuring out life, getting to know each other better and traveling the world. We have loved every minute of the last 6 years!

After attempting to add another little carbon footprint to the world, which didn't happen as soon as we had expected, we gave in and met with a doctor. He said It looked like my engine wasn't turning over. Darn! He gave me a special additive to help fuel the process.. but I could never get a hold of this weird old man when I needed to. He didn't call for a week and I missed the very narrow window. Needless to say, I was NOT a very happy person. Just ask Jake! November came and went. Then in December, I figured I would find a new doctor. The earliest appointment I could get was December 22. Uhh.. sometimes I just hate the medical system!

December 22nd, finally came and I race to my appointment. My new doc, Cindy, who I adore, talked me through statistics, possible reasons for not being pregnant yet and medical history. She gave me a bunch of forms to track dates and some forms for Jake about getting him tested. She asked how I was feeling... "I'm tired and my boobs are pretty sore." Ok. That was that and I had instructions to call her in January.

I went out to the car and started to text Jake. I got a call from my doc and she asked where I was. I hadn't left the parking lot. She said she needed me to come back inside. Hmmm..... Strange..... I had my purse, my kindle, my coat. Had I left something???? When I walked into the office, Cindy was there, along with a bunch of nurses and the reception staff. She grabbed my hand and said she had something to show me. We walked back to a little hallway and she said, "Look! These are yours. Do you know what that means?" After months of only seeing one line, there were finally two lines. I didn't say anything, I just started crying. I think one of the nurses finally said, "You're pregnant!" Apparently, boobs being sore is a pretty big indicator of pregnancy. My doctor gave me the two tests (she double checked, just to make sure it was really my sample and that the test was working correctly).

When I got home, I put the tests in a box and decided I would give them to Jake for Christmas. Silly me, thinking I could wait 3 days....

When Jake arrived home, I explained I'd probably be taking more additives for a few months and then he'd need to get tested. I handed him some papers and then started reading again (I had just started the 2nd book in the Hunger Games- an addicting series).

Ten minutes later, I jumped up and told Jake to follow me. I handed him a little wooden box and told him to open it. Inside there was a small brown bag that he opened. We both started crying and I told him about the last part of my visit to the doctor. Baby is 5 weeks! Best early Christmas present ever! We did it!!!

6 comments:

  1. Robyn! This story is awesome! So glad you did it the way you did, made it pretty special for you guys. We love you guys and are so excited for you! You two will make AWESOME parents. Oh, and whose idea was it to start a blog??? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. would you believe me if I said it was Jake's idea....

      Delete
  2. We are so FREAKING excited for you two! You'll be such wonderful parents :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love it! Love it! Love it! I am so glad that everything ended out working out! AND I am so glad that you guys have a blog... :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I finally got on here and accepted the invite. Your blog is beautiful! Maybe if I had your talent I would be inclined to blog a little more frequently:)

    We are super excited that you guys are having a baby. You both are so great with our kids and we think you will make great parents. We love you!

    ReplyDelete